Monday 7 November 2011

Challenge #13 Week of 7th November, 2011

Hello again and welcome to another fun (hopefully) challenge from Whimsical Musings. I am mostly inspired by color. Are you the type of person that walks into a Home Project store and get drawn to the wall with paint chips? Do displays of markers arranged by color make your heart beat faster? Are you instantly made happy by the sight of a rainbow?

Well I am that type of person. Perhaps one of the best things I learned when I took my art classes where color harmonies. A Color Wheel is something I keep in my work space to draw inspiration from. One of my favorite color harmonies is the triad.

Triad - color scheme created by placing an equilateral triangle on the color wheel. Or three colors that are the same distance from each other on the color wheel.

The result? A scheme that is full of life. At www.tigercolor.com they have the following to say about Triad combinations :


Triad 
A triadic color scheme uses colors that are evenly spaced around the color wheel.Triadic color harmonies tend to be quite vibrant, even if you use pale or unsaturated versions of your hues.To use a triadic harmony successfully, the colors should be carefully balanced - let one color dominate and use the two others for accent.
Here are some examples:

This one should look familiar and you've probably used it before. It is also the most vibrant of the bunch which is probably why it is associated with kids and toys.
This is another example (and one I use often). You can see that again it is a vibrant combination and already looks happy.
This combination is a tricky one for me. I am not a big fan of purple on my pages - but when grouped with other colors that I love, it takes on a whole new life. I often do this when I am challenged to use purple and love the results. How fun is that?

So that is your challenge for this week:  Create a layout using a triad color scheme. If you are feeling really adventurous, try basing it off of your least favorite color (like I do) and see if that makes a difference. If you are intimidated by bold, vibrant colors you can try to use the muted tones of those colors. You will still end up with a happy layout. And don't forget, the key to balance is to use one of the colors as your main color and accent with the other two colors.

Remember, as always, Lisa and I will post our take on the challenge by next Sunday. If you play along, remember to post your creation on our flick'r group with the tag WM#13. Can't wait to see what you create!

xo,
Pamage

3 comments:

  1. good prompt! I am going to get my Colour book out from the Nic H class to choose my colour scheme which will be great! it'll be great to get to use it ;-)

    Will you be going for your signature colours? It'll be interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok ladies, I may play along this week. I've been away from my table for TOO LONG!!!!! I MISS IT! (I've been watching my husband paint our upstairs bathroom...and dreaming of decorating. And actually decorating. And wishing my budget could sustain all of my dream decorating ;) lol ) And I'm guessing these holiday craft projects might NEVER get done (SIGH!!) so I might as well play along :) :) :) Happy November L & P!!!
    Heidi (aka move4life)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I love colour scheme #3! Will be doing this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete

We <3 comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...